Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dance, puppet, dance

Don't you get the impression the PM and the Finance Minister had a great chuckle at the Premier's expense after they snowed him into believing he had somehow re-started negotiations the Flaherty said were never going on in the first place?

It's sad.

We had the most popular MP in the world, Bill Casey, on the show today. He gave us his take on the budget vote yesterday. Casey wrote an open letter to his constituents on his website. Here is the link:

http://www.billcasey.ca/120607pr.html

Over a thousand e-mails and calls!

For those of you who wanted Peter Mackay and Gerald Keddy's phone numbers, here they are.

Peter Mackay: 613-992-6022
Gerald Keddy: 613-996-0877

You know what I'd love to hear on the Hotline tomorrow? I'd love to hear someone who calls up to defend Peter Mackay. I haven't heard that on the Hotline EVER. Rick mentioned that photo op with the "loyal dog" when Belinda dumped him. Turns out, that was the neighbour's dog, it wasn't even his! One caller told us today that they probably had to tie a pork chop around the MP's neck just to get the dog to have anything to do with him. Ouch.

I forget which caller mentioned there's a Facebook group dedicated to ousting Peter Mackay. Hmmmm...this could be the impetus I've been waiting for to join!! Hey, those groups seem to work. That guy got that Bruce Frisko tattoo on his arm after 25-thousand people joined! Facebook is the 21st century equivalent of a 1960s sit-in.

Did you see in Calgary that Ralph Klein's seat went to a Liberal in a by-election! That is craziness! The seat had been Conservative since 1971.

Scott Taylor is so fascinating to listen to, don't you think? It's so depressing, but you really feel like you're getting the straight goods from him when he speaks. He was just in Afghanistan 2 weeks ago, not staying on any bases, but travelling, armed, in the country. You can check out Scott's magazine, Esprit de Corps, here: http://www.espritdecorps.ca/

On a completely different note, I wrote Sean Wood an e-mail today. He's the wine/beer/spirits columnist from the Chronicle-Herald. He wrote this line that I took umbrage with. Rick thought I was overreacting, but he always thinks that. Here's the line in regards to a new beer at the NSLC:

"With lighter alcohol and smaller bottles, the style should appeal to women who prefer smaller quantities".

I took offense to the fact that he singled out women. It's like when Rick talks about bad women drivers. Why even mention women? You are either a bad driver or a good driver, why should sex be brought into it? I don't call Rick a great male talk show host, he's just a great host. Peter Mackay isn't a bad male M-P, he's just a bad M-P. Are you with me? He should have written, "this style should appeal to people who prefer smaller quantities". Am I overreacting here?

My brother once told me I'm not satisfied until I can be outraged over something. If true, thank God I work on the Hotline - it fills my quota every day.

Have a wonderful day!

Your favourite female Hotline producer, (see how ridiculous that sounds???)

Amber

1 comment:

emily said...

amber you are right to be outraged - such gender stereotypes are outdated and damaging, not to mention just plain lame. would rick think it's ok to say that all asians, are bad drivers? probably (hopefully!) not - women are an easy target because we're not quite marginialized enough ( in canada anyways)to gleen sympathy for our plight!