Thursday, June 14, 2007

A record, I think

I think Guinness should be alerted to the number of topics covered during today's show. There were at least a million different things brought up during the Mayor's hour alone. Thank you for all the calls and it was nice to switch it up a bit, after all, we've been discussing the Atlantic Accord ad nauseum for a couple of weeks.

Speaking of, did you hear the Gerald Keddy interview? During it, I wrote a note to Rick saying he doesn't sound like he knows if he's coming or going! It was a PR disaster from my view and from the view of other listeners. The phones lit up with people asking me, "What is he talking about?" He contradicted himself at least 3 times and it was painful to listen to. I also wrote to Rick that if Keddy wasn't sure of the numbers, why did he support the budget? Before the second reading, Bill Casey said he had been consulting with people, including the legislative lawyer. I guess that's the difference between the two. Be sure to call us with your Keddy comments or leave a comment on the blog!

Great interview today with a woman named Denyse Hockley. She started a petition calling on the government to fund a drug called Avastin. Her kids go to school with Judy Young's son. She's a mom who has colorectal cancer and it's believed Avastin could help her live an extra 2-3 years. Jim Connors, a Hotline regular, is pushing for the government to fund the drug, even though he pays for it on his own. Anyway, as promised, here is the link to the petition.

http://www.gopetition.com/sign.php?petid=12437

Good luck Denyse!!! I hope the government listens.

As mentioned, Mayor Kelly was in for an hour and had about a gazillion different issues thrown at him and he did handle it with his usual aplomb. I always run to the bathroom during the 11 o' clock news and the mayor was just coming in. I go to shake his hand, which is something I will avoid in the future. To say Mayor Kelly has a firm handshake would be the greatest understandment I've ever made in the blog. You might have heard my yelp of pain during the news. Ow. My hand was crushed. I think if the Mayor loses the next election he could easily be part of these cage matches at the Forum. Dude is strong. I still feel some residual pain. The Mayor is one of the kindest people I know, but now it's clear - I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Seriously though, it was a mixed bag of questions ranging from commuter rail, road name changes (which is seriously dumb: "Boston Street Superstore"), graffiti, snow removal contractor damage, the fast ferry, street lights, the dog by-law and changes at the water commission. See? I told you it was a gazillion. I was happy because I mentioned that a certain major mall in Metro that doesn't recycle and he promised city staffers were going to look into it. There's just no excuse for that!

You heard it on the Hotline first - Jerry Blumenthal says he's running again in District 11, his old stomping grounds and the seat now held by Pat Murphy. Jerry was firing on all cylinders today slamming everyone left, right and centre. It was very entertaining.


It's great on the Hotline when you learn little known facts about Rick. Turns out he is deathly afraid of...wait for it.....BUMBLEBEES. Man, I can't wait for April fool's day!!! As Ben said at the end of his call today....BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

If it doesn't get sunny by this weekend, I'm moving back to Ontario. Sports tomorrow during hour number one and then...the Friday free for all!

Cheers!

Amber

No comments: