Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Daily News

Jack Romanelli, the editor of the Daily News was in the studio with AJ for the first hour. Now, I've only been reading the Daily News for 7 years (as long as I've been here) and I think it's a great read. Caller Robert was the only one to bring up anything negative about the paper, in terms of its news coverage. The other calls had to deal with the status of the comic section and a possible column on chess!! Breaking news: Jack said they're going to be doing a comic survey in the fall and then possibly re-vamping the section! That tidbit came after caller Tim told Jack he hated Doonesbury! You truly never know what someone is going to say on the Hotline. I politely requested to Jack to spare my favourite comic: For better or for worse! Ha!

I really liked what he had to say though, in terms of thinking about your coverage in advance so that the reporter has a better grip on what he or she will be getting out of the story for the reader's benefit...and not just re-printing the media release giving out by the P.R. person at the event. A thoughtful and meaningful approach to news is very necessary nowadays in these times of constant media bombardment.

During the second hour AJ brought up the Sheriff who apparently led some sort of tough boot camp for young offenders. Well, near the end of the show a lady called with his name: Joe Arpaio. As everyone does these days, he has a website. You can learn more by clicking here:

http://www.mcso.org/

He is controversial though - here is an anti-Arpaio website.

http://www.arpaio.com/

I'll have to do a little reading before I form an opinion on the Sheriff. I definitely think some fresh ideas are needed though in the punishment arena...since very little seems to be deterring repeat criminals and if you mention the Youth Criminal Justice Act on the Hotline and the phone lines will light up. It's a mess.

AJ posed a question today on the show: "Does anyone like the Senate?" I have an answer - YES!! I love the Senate, mainly because it would be a dream job. I mean, you are pretty much answerable to no one. You get to investigate topics that are of interest to you and travel anyplace in the world to find the answers, you make big money and you only have to work a handful of days a year. SIGN ME UP! It's like being the Vanna White of the political scene. Sounds like a dream. Amber LeBlanc for Senate!

Anyway....that being said, I do think it's an incredible waste of money.

So, enjoy the last day of sunshine!

Cheers,

Amber

P.S. Did you hear Jack confirm what Hotline listeners already know - Dave Rodenhiser is a star!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber

Re: Daniel Baldwin, Drug related matter.

I watched him last nite on Larry King. If there is a way you can get him on the Hotline. I truly beleive it would be a great Show!

?