Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pea Soup

I knew when I heard fog horns blaring when I woke up that it wasn't going to be a banner weather day. I just spoke to Peter Coade too and there's rain on the way tomorrow and he doesn't see a lot of sunshine in his forecast!! I know June is normally not a nice month in Nova Scotia, but July has always been better than this, don't you think? It's starting to really bum me out.

Taxis in the first hour didn't generate the amount of calls I thought it would, but it was really informative to hear how the industry works and what it's like to be a taxi driver from an actual cabbie. I used to take taxis to work every weekend when I used to read morning news on Saturdays and Sundays and never had a complaint. But, I filled in for Debra a few months back and called a taxi and I waited about 5 minutes, called back, they said someone was on the way, called 10 minutes later and they said, well, there may not be anyone on the road. What?? That is a major problem when you call and there isn't anyone around! I waited 35 minutes for my taxi and I wasn't too happy about it. Imagine if doctors just showed up whenever they pleased? Sorry you're stroking out right now, but a doctor didn't feel like working! That would be changed pretty quickly!

Edna called this morning to yell at AJ. Edna's the wonderful lady from North End Dartmouth who calls to promote Farrell Hall Bingo near Albro Lake Road. Whenever she calls, she always says "Hello, darling" to Rick. I think she even called him a "hunk" once! Anyway, she called because she protested AJ's use of the term "old lady". Edna has a very strong telephone presence; I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley. She's tough!

Tomorrow, I get to meet someone I've been speaking to on the phone for many years. Jerry Lawrence will be in, the former broadcaster and former M-L-A. As Bill Estabrooks mentioned, they are re-naming a provincial park in his old riding after him. What an honour! So, he's going to reminisce with AJ and maybe do some music trivia, there may be prizes - call up and give it a try!

Well...let's pray for some afternoon sunny breaks, that's what the forecast is calling for anyway!

Cheers!

Amber

1 comment:

sos said...

Amber , I can remember Gear Bear when he was on country 101 at the time. Our school at the time had a work a day with anyone and on that day Gear Bear had me in the studio. I can remember him laughing about me marching around the breakfast table and falling. I really miss hearing him on the air with his jokes,it always brought a smile to my face. Amber that was when
I was a little guy and a angel ha ha. I remember when Gerry was a MLA, and at that time I was interested in politics then. If Gear Bear has internet, please get him to drop me a line sometime.
cm241tony@hotmail.com.
Take care ,hope I can get a chance to listen to him today.