Monday, August 13, 2007

It was a rainy Monday....

It was partly sunny this morning, but now as I'm writing this, it's raining...in my part of Halifax anyway. It's kind of a nice warm summer rain, so it's not so bad.

It was quite a busy Monday on the Hotline! It was an open hour for the first hour and then Yvonne had in the principal of the new Dartmouth campus of the Nova Scotia Community College. That generated a lot of great calls from parents talking about their childrens' experience at the college. I think college is great. I have been lucky enough to go to college and university and they both offer completely different, but equally important things! I like college because the courses are shorter and you can achieve your goals quicker, as our guest said, it's applied learning, as opposed to theory based university. They talked about college and how you get more individual attention from your teachers. I agree with that, but I also had that experience at university. I took German Language and Literature at Dalhousie and the department was small, meaning lots of individual attention. The profs were incredible and it was a great, although expensive, experience.

Sidebar - when I was filling in for Deb a few weeks back, Brian picked up the phone and then asked me "Did you study German at Dal?" I was thinking, what the heck is going on, but told him "Yes" and then he said someone wanted to talk to me!! Well, it turns out longtime Hotline listener Wendell is married to Frau Wamboldt, who was the German department secretary for many, many years and a department stalwart. I was so thrilled to speak to her and she just retired this past May. She will be sorely missed, that's for sure. It's great though that I have this connection to her through Wendell.

Anyway, now it looks like the rain is clearing up. I'm feeling kind of scattered today, so I promise things will be back to normal tomorrow!!

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber

I was interested in seeing if you had written anything om Peter Kelly's interview with Yvonne and specifically on the "issue" of the concert promo cards.(I think it was Monday's show hence my question here

Is my memory failing or did Kelly not say, rather forcefully, that Uteck was mistaken in her assertions of the facts, that Council had approved this promotion?


Those comments add even more confusion to the DN take on this at this link

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=54211&sc=89

Ian

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

hi ian,

it's so confusing, kind of a he-said, she-said thing. anyway....sue uteck is scheduled to be a guest with rick on tuesday morning from 9-10...so i'm sure rick will be asking her about that.

hope you tune in!

cheers,

amber