Thursday, August 2, 2007

Sheila Fougere

So, I got to meet Sheila Fougere for the first time today and I'm here to report - she made a very good impression.

She seems driven, intelligent and committed to change at city hall. I hope Rick has her back in the fall. We had some good chats during the commercial breaks about being in politics and what it takes. For example....you have to have a very, VERY thick skin! She says she gets a lot of phone calls where people can be very, um, expressive, but she says e-mails are worse because a lot of people can say some pretty vitriolic stuff when they don't have to look you in the eye. So, we talked about that and how some people look at women in politics differently. It's hard to believe in 2007, there are still some super old-fashioned people who really can't be blind to gender.

Ali's call was quite funny as he was so over the top with his compliments towards the councillor!

During the first hour, it was such a pleasure to welcome one of my favourite Hotline guests - Pat Connelly. Pat Connelly is the epitome of class. I think he has one of the best voices in the business, whenever he cracks his mic, I sit up and pay attention. He is one of the nicest people I've ever met and I have so much respect for P.C. I also got to meet Frank Cameron for the first time. He's got a great voice too, he is natural and doesn't throw it, or put it on. I had no idea Frank would be so hysterical!! When Trina called to say that she missed his voice on the air, he replied, "Doesn't my body count?" It was so funny. Trina also mentioned another one of the funniest people in the planet, Brian Phillips. Apparently, Trina called Brian to tell him about a little bit of repetition in the playlist of oldies and he deadpanned, "Trina, we only have so many". I love BP, he makes me laugh so hard. Remember when Ben said he was laying sod and Philly said, "Remember Ben, green side up this time." LOL.

Frank had a great story about Jerbear, throwing himself out of his wheelchair in front of a group of aghast teenagers and then blaming someone else for it! Jerbear is another person I've been so pleased to meet this summer. The guy oozes personality, but it's authentic, you know?

Well, Friday tomorrow and that's when Yvonne will be in to tee up her Summer Hotline. I'm so interested in what she has planned!

More tomorrow! Enjoy your Thursday!

Cheers,

Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know Amber Sheila sounds like a good politican but like most politicans she is also ill informed in my opinion . The quest for the commonwealth games comes to mind. Sheila's bitterness about the ending of the Halfiax 2014 bid was expressed with "How can Africa Afford these Games"

well if Sheila was to actually do a couple of goggle seraches on Abuja she would find a city with a prior hosting of a summer psorts festival with 6000 athletes and a state of the art athletes stadium with seating for 60000 on the ground since 2003.

Until you are able to get past falsely assuming things through pure ignorance then she can try to aspire to becoming mayor of the HRM.