Thursday, September 13, 2007

Habedarsack

It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what that was when I was staring at this little piece of paper Rick leaves for me in the morning with the poll question written on it. Habedarsack? That's hilarious! However, I think we should leave it as HRM. I completely agree with Gloria. What tool won't realize that when someone says "Halifax Regional Municipality" that they're talking about Halifax? Here in town, we're always going to say the Chicken Burger is in Bedford or HMV Mic Mac Mall is in Dartmouth. Let's just say HRM and get regionally specific when we need to be. This debate is getting annoying - can we please move on? Shouldn't the Chamber of Commerce be worrying about Halifax's reputation as a city with a lot of violent crime and not what we're called. Trust me, they know what we're called. It's the same thing with the GTA. People say Toronto, but in Toronto you say you live in Scarborough etc. What's the big deal? MOVE ON.

I can't believe the opinions on the Guardian Angels! As I've stated, I am all for them coming here. Every little bit helps. I missed the Curtis Sliwa interview with Steve Murphy yesterday, but that doesn't concern me. If criminals do form a gang simply to combat the Guardian Angels, all police have to do is follow the Guardian Angels around to catch the criminals. It's genius! Plus, if the criminals, who are probably out on curfew or probation, hurt one of the Angels, the police can arrest them right away! Maybe after their 15th conviction, well maybe the 30th, they might be put away for a long period of time! Curtis Sliwa is awesome; let's bash some heads! As Rodenhiser says, let's make the criminals sweat for once; I'm personally tired of worrying about getting mugged every day. Rick mentioned he's trying to get the Chief in soon, so stay tuned! I'd be very, very concerned/ticked if the department brass refuses to meet with Sliwa when he comes next month. Today, Sheila Fougere said she would welcome more information and thinks meeting with him is a good idea. Thank you, Sheila!

HRM by Design was a popular topic on the show too! If you are interested in reaching Heritage Trust, you can call them at 423-4807.

I loved the story about the students who stuck up for the bullied students in the Valley. Thank you to Central Kings Rural High School students David Shepard and Travis Price. YOU GUYS ROCK! A grade 9 was being bullied by older students for wearing a pink shirt, so these 2 actually bought pink shirts for 75 students and organized (probably via Facebook) a day where everyone wore pink. Apparently, the bullies went crazy because they were so angry! It's just great that you can teach people lessons through rational thought and just being clever. I know that might seem contradictory to my "break some heads" Guardian Angels stance, but I feel the Halifax criminals might seem too far gone to understand this logic.

So...break some heads when need be, but better yet, use your head to defeat the ignorance that is out there in this world. Thanks to these students for restoring my faith in humanity, for today anyway.


Later,

Amber

No comments: