Friday, September 28, 2007

Hurricanes are lazy

I think that random title sums up the complete randomness that made up today's show. There was levity, tragedy and everything in between today, which is what makes the Hotline the best talk show in Metro!

Another violent, senseless beating has callers on edge. A teenage girl was tortured, and I mean tortured last week in a parking lot in Dartmouth. Apparently her face was beaten until it was unrecognizable. Rick spoke to her father today during the third hour and obviously he is disgusted, saddened and confused as to why this all went down. An 18-year old girl is charged, along with 2 other girls, ages 14 and 15! After talking about teen violence issue for weeks, I'm at a loss for what to do and how to stop it. The callers are frustrated, citizens are scared to leave their houses and these violent teens are ruining peoples' lives, not to mention their own. I'm sure it will be a question that will come up with the Premier on Monday. Yes, you finally get to ask the Premier questions on Monday - FINALLY.

The incredible Debbie Young was in during hour number 2 and again the lines were jammed! A woman from Guysborough county got through at about 11:57 and I had to tell her we couldn't squeeze her in. If you want to make an appointment with Debbie, you can call 425-4808. There is usually a pretty long wait, but it's worth it!

What did you think of Rick's column today? After reading it is there any doubt why nothing ever gets accomplished in this city? Grow up people and do your jobs!

The Rodenhiser was in as he is every Friday during the 1st hour and today's big issue was the transit strike. There's an update in an hour at city hall (3:30) and I desperately hope both sides get back to the table. This issue about block picking, or picking the shifts seems to be a contentious one though. If anything changes, I'll post again or listen to C100 news at 4 and 5 for the latest.

I had the quite the surprise when I entered the studio this morning and found it decorated for my birthday! There were banners and a tonne of balloons! I was very flattered, but I seriously loathe balloons. I hate balloons, I even hate walking past car dealerships having sales because there are always balloons. I know it makes me seem like a crazy person, but Debbie Young says her daughter has the same phobia. It was funny because I looked it up and it's called "Globophobia". There is truly a phobia for everything! Rick kept trying to toss balloons at me during the show and Debbie told us the moon was in Taurus and it was making Rick even more antagonistic than he already is! Thank god for Deb Smith, who very kindly removed the balloons from my working area as Brian giggled his way through his sign-off. Okay, I may be afraid of balloons, but let's not forget Rick's phobia - bumblebees!!!! I think I may have to get him some honeycombs for his birthday next year.

Thank you so much for all the kind birthday wishes today! The Hotline has the best listeners in the world.

Have a great weekend!

Amber

3 comments:

Mr.k said...

Happy Birthday Amber...

Violent kids are over the province...I know of two young boys, age 14 who are lucky to be alive today. They were drunk as skunks on whiskey(YUCK), met up with some people and ended up get the royal crap beat out of them. Parents called to hospital because they didn't think the boys would make it. 58% alcohol content, fractured skulls,black eyes and their faces beat to a pulp...with the possibility of being raped.

It seems to be the generation of 12- 14 yr olds around here.boys and girls....in fact the girls are probably even worse than the boys. the girls can be real nasty.

I sure hope we get a chance to ask the Great Premier Rod some questions on Monday....
I'll be tuned in and hopefully will get a question off to him...if I can't get through then an e mail I shall send, and hopefully Rick will ask "The Rod" the question.

OH!! and how old are you kid?

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

hey richard!!

i'm 30!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amber.

Good Afternoon.

I would like to begin by saying my thoughts & Prayers are with that Young Girl and Her Family. The recent incient in Dartmouth should never have happened. But it did. Unfortunately that Little Girl will never be the same. That said without having all the information the First question is Why? and where the Hell was the Police? Upon watching the News to day in particular CBC, Halifax is developing a reputation for all the wrong reasons. It is time we Stop talking about Crime and Start doing something about it.

Tim
UFCW Canada