Friday, September 21, 2007

Stats

The Police Chief came armed with stats today, didn't he?

No matter how ticked I am about crime in this city, it is impossible to be mad at Frank Beazley. The guy is just too damn nice! He's so decent, you cannot confront him on things. He's quick too, calling Rick on a couple of things like asking if Police Chiefs have the right to free speech!
He sounded more like a man with a plan today, which is good. He says he will, of course, meet with Curtis Sliwa when he comes in to hear him out, but voiced his concerns and I believe those concerns are valid. The Chief makes a lot of sense and I know he doesn't like crime and doesn't want it to happen. The Courts need to step up, parents need to step up and I think if more people felt like criminals would remain behind bars, maybe they would come forward to police with information about crimes. I would do it, but I admit, I would be scared to report a crime because the courts tend to release criminals and put them on these unenforceable, asinine curfews! It's a perfect storm for retaliation. Maybe I'm just extra paranoid because I'm in the middle of watching all of the The Sopranos seasons.

Beazley says 83 per cent of all Haligonians have never been a victim of a crime. But on the flip side, 17 per cent of people have - I think close to 1/5th of the population is kind of high, don't you?

Moving on to something really cool - the pink protest lives on! I'm wearing pink today to support the Central Kings students who fought bullying by being clever! It's a Nova Scotia wide thing today and Rick interviewed one principal where there was close to 100 participation. Can you imagine the sea of pink? I love it, it's one of the best stories I've ever heard.


Rodenhiser is always a great guest and today was no exception. I love his sarcasm! When Darren said Halifax needed more of a "can do" attitude, Dave replied that we were hiring some consultants from Toronto to study whether or not we need a "can do" attitude! Ha!

Sadly, it's totally something the city would do!

Well, that's it from me. It's been an insanely busy week and I am beat. Monday should be fun for political junkies - MPs Mike Savage and Peter Stoffer are in.

Have a fantastic weekend...the weather looks great!

Cheers,

Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber.

I have No Doubt that the Chief is a nice Man however in our opinion the time has come for him to have a " Crime" game plan for HRM. If so that would allow us to have confidence in him and his Staff. Should the G-Angels decide to come to Halifax is that not a form of Contracting Out and if so will we be paying less in taxes I think not. In my opinion the Angels have exploited the fact that Police are not doing there Job. If it was only that easy. And as per the Students of Central King high School. It shows what you can do when you put your mind to it, Congrats for a "PINK" Job Very
well done. It goes without saying a very Postive message. Last and not least what is this about the Premier maybe appearing on the Hotline. My first question is what happened to you Rick and Amber?
With all due respect did you lose your balls? I/We may stand to be corrected but Unless We are mistaken the fact of the matter is
Mr.MacDonald and his Staff have said No to Rick and the Hotline show for over a year now. We know why but all of sudden Rick / Amber
your Puppy's. One can only wonder why?

In our opinion Rick should do the right and say thanks but No thanks to him. You guys are free to do whatever you want but if Rick says yes it will change our opinion of him for good. The Hotline has been fine without the Premier and with all due respect we really donot need him now on the Show. Rick / Amber do the right thing tell him thanks but No thanks! When you ask us to be there for you we are now it is time you guys are there for us.


Debbie & Alex.