Monday, December 10, 2007

Maelstrom Monday

I didn't know what to expect today after being gone for a week, but I was tossed into things pretty quickly! We had a little bit of snow this morning, a story about a mom who couldn't pay her phone bill and an interview with Margaret Murphy. I nearly fell over when she agreed to speak to Rick because she hasn't been on the air with him since Hurricane Juan - that's right, 4 years ago! They had a good chat about the policy for cutting off people's power and we actually found out something new - they have an ombudsman named Mr. Farmer who helps people who have problems with the utility! Good to know - now that we know the information, I expect Mr. Farmer is going to be a busy man! The most hilarious thing was that as they were chatting - the power went out! We lost all of our phone lines and I had to call Margaret back to get her on the air. The power is back on in the central Halifax area now.

During hour number 2, one of my favourite councillors stopped in for a visit - that is, of course, Gloria McCluskey. Jim told me off the air that he wanted to challenge Gloria, and I put him in the line-up, while at the same time saying a wee prayer for the nice man! I wouldn't want to meet Gloria in a dark alley, that's all I'm saying - she's the toughest lady I know. I know it's totally against my journalistic integrity to gush over a councillor, but I just think she is amazing. With her, Councillor Macaroni, as one caller referred to him as, aka Harry McInroy, who was in a bit of pain after hurting his back shovelling his snow! Feel better, councillor!

So, I visited my hometown of Windsor, Ontario last week and had a great visit with my family. I'm kind of sad today because I miss them so much, especially my niece who is about to turn 3 years old. Windsor is known for being the home of the big 3, which is why it is in recession right now because a lot of the plants are closing. My point is, most people have cars. However, since the last time I visited, the majority of streets have painted bike lanes on them! Halifax, a city with tonnes of cyclists has what - 1 lane that's in the middle of the Bedford Highway? It's really not that difficult, it's the issue of painting a solitary while line 2 feet from the curb. I drove a lot when I was home and it was just so awesome. It was awesome because when I was making a left hand turn, I wasn't fearing for my life. It's because on all major intersections, there is a dedicated left hand turn lane with its own light. It's so safe and makes SENSE. Yesterday, my friend and I almost died trying to turn left on Almon from Robie street, as there is no advance arrow and you have pressure from cars behind you trying to turn as well. Put a green arrow at least at major intersections like that - it will improve flow and improve safety.

But what do I know? Rick's accused me of changing from being in Ontario for one week because I wasn't feeling all that much sympathy for the plight of "Heather". I guess my point is everyone has a sad story, everyone has debt, but we all have to make choices that help us to manage it. I'm so excited for Heritage gas to be up and running - give NS Power a little competition, maybe then the rates will come down a bit.

Anyway....time to write some news! It was great to talk to you today - oh, and thanks again for making the Hotline the number 1 show in Halifax!!

Cheers!

Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go GLORIA go , yer one great gal , always a hoot to hear ya on dah radio wiff RiCkStEr , gosh golly ya even used dah werd ' DAMN ' yer my nominy for HOT HOT HOT liner of dah year !