Friday, November 30, 2007

Celebrities on the Hotline

You could feel a palpable buzz in the halls of the pink palace this morning. It was all because of a man named Bret Hart, one of the most famous wrestlers in the world who was our guest during hour number 2.

Rick asked me what I thought about him after he left. He's very hard to describe. He wasn't overly jovial, but he also wasn't. He was kind of zen. He was calm, and seemed a little world weary. It seemed like nothing could faze him, and he was genuinely moved by the comments made by Hotline listeners today. It was great that we heard from some true superfans today! Anyway, it was very cool and David Rodenhiser was such a fan he stuck around for the hour! Little known fact: Bret started wrestling as "Buddy the Heartthrob". He looked very sheepish as he made that admission. Good news - he says Roddy Piper beat cancer which is good to hear. He says Andre the Giant was an incredible athlete (which I was suprised by) and that Andre actually played national soccer in France before he got too big. He blames the Chris Benoit tragedy on concussions and not steroids, which was interesting to hear.

Speaking of Rodenhiser, another and opinionated hour with him to start off the Friday free for all. I am in complete agreement with what he says about squeegee kids. They shouldn't be in the streets and it's a toss up whether they are even out there telling the truth or not.

Gloria kills me every time she comes on the air! The "venerable iron lady of Dartmouth" as Rick calls her was in fine form today. She told me on the phone she was shaking and I naively asked her why, was she outside? She said, no, I'm so scared I'm going to lose my job now because of Don Mills! Ha! Everything she said was dripping with sarcasm today and I loved every minute of it. She called Bill Black a "two time loser" and said this group was essentially a south-end boys' club! Another super sarcastic quote "They know so much, they are so intelligent". Rick and I were dying, she is at the top of her game. I wish I could have seen her in action as Mayor of Dartmouth! I love Gloria!

Well, I'm off next week, so when you call you're going to hear the mellifluous tones of Austin Price! No blogging, so I'll catch you back on the show December 10th. Be nice to Rick!!

Cheers!

Amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber.

Good Evening.

I trust you maybe taking the week of to learn to drive? That said it is fair to say the Show will not be the same until you return.

In any event enjoy your holidays and I will talk to you upon your return.

Cheers.

Tim
UFCW Canada

Anonymous said...

Good morning Rick:
Just a comment about our changing Christmas. Today, only a small part of the population practice their Christian Faith by going to Church. I think it is about time that Christmas is no longer a paid holiday for everyone, for so many people now have to work at Christmas anyway. Since it is a Christian Celebration, and most of the business and population use Christmas only as a period of economic materialism that only puts people farther into debt for things they can not really afford, then lets do away with it and have it as a regular working day.
For those whose faith is in Jesus Christ, then let them take the day off at their own expense and celebrate this Joyous Occasion as it should be. If they have real faith, then this sacrifice would be really worthwhile and a small cost, to celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ. Just remember for a devote Christian, Jesus is the only reason for the Season.
Sincerely,
Andrew Mitchell
Prospect Bay, NS