Thursday, January 17, 2008

The full meal deal

I told the doctors after the hour about organ donation that I'm glad I am a donor, or else I'd feel so guilty! Some startling stats came out of that hour.

In Nova Scotia there are:

  • 25-50 people waiting for a new liver
  • 200 people waiting for kidneys
  • 15 people waiting for new hearts
  • 7 people waiting for a new pancreas

It kind of makes you want to eat right and take care of yourself, doesn't it? Imagine how helpless it feels waiting for an organ? As the doctors clearly reiterated today, the amount of donors they get is so incredibly small because you have to essentially be brain dead before they could take your organs from you, given that you've said you wanted to be a donor. They said it's so important to make sure it's on your MSI card that you want to be a donor and that your loved ones know that is your desire. He says there have been times when the family members haven't known and made a bit of an issue about it. As he says, it's an unbelievable gift and they said it gives families great comfort to know their loved one is helping others live on. Here a list of myths the doctors helped us clear up today:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077

If you haven't signed your card - why not? Call us tomorrow or leave the comments at the end of the post, I'd love to know. The first part of the hour focused on Health Canada's decision to ban gay men from donating organs. I'm so glad the medical community is speaking out about this decision - it's purely homophobic, they would test a "gay" organ just like they would a "straight" one. Unreal.

Janet Hazelton from the Nova Scotia Nurses Union dropped a bombshell today - some nurses in Saskatchewan are getting 100-thousand dollar signing bonuses! I tried to find an article on the net to support that, but I couldn't. No wonder no one is staying in N.S.!

What the hell is Robert Gates smoking? I think he got "Southern Afghanistan" and "Iraq" confused. As if Peter MacKay and Stephen Harper are defending him after he stone cold slammed us. I freaked when I read what he said yesterday, it's untrue and coming from someone who has a much bigger mess on his hands, you just want to tell him to back off.

This week has gone by so fast, I cannot believe it's Freitag tomorrow. Anyway, the Rodenhiser will be in for another fun-filled hour!

Talk to you then!

Amber

1 comment:

Mr.k said...

Hello Amber....your lookin good.

I signed my donor card many years back. So have all my family.

It was Brian Young, MLA for CB North at the time who convinced me to donate my organs. At the time his daughter, Carmen Young was in need of lungs, I believe.

Brian was a very busy person at the time and even though he was a Tory and had to answer to many, he never left his daughter's bed and always returned his calls to me.

I think all people should do is put themselves in the position of a parent whose son or daughter was dying and needed an organ transplant.

The best news a parent at that time could possibly hear is"we have an organ"...'its on its way"

The last hope many people have for a longer life.

Advise to the population:
Donate your organs..It will make many smile.