Friday, January 4, 2008

Making Mr.Walker happy

Urea.

Never heard of it before caller Elaine told us about its properties at an ice remover. After that we were flooded with calls about Urea and its benefits. Elaine told us she bought hers at Walker's Livestock and Feed on Cole Harbour road. I called them up because I wanted to see how much a bag of urea was and compare it to salt. Well, I couldn't get through when Rick was talking to Cecil and Jim. Then Ray calls - he called his friend Dale Walker, the owner, and asked if he'd talk to us and bam - he was on the air just like that. Thanks, Ray! I told Rick if he was ever in a position where he needed a new producer, I'd put in a good word for you!
Here is the Wikipedia page for urea if you want to check it out - I briefly scanned it, didn't see anything about it being used for snow removal though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Maybe we'll talk to the Mayor, a councillor or John O' Brien next week to see if it's something they've considered. It is more expensive than salt, roughly 3 times more expensive, but it's a sorry state that we're in - we've got to stop selling out the environment just because it's cheaper. Again, thanks for the all the calls on urea - wouldn't that be great if this urea trend caught on - the Hotline saves the environment - I like the sound of that!! I know everyone is talking about this salt shortage, but a few callers told me today that they're seeing it at places like Walkers, Superstore, so keep checking around.

Interesting conversation with Joel Miller from Miller Tire today. He says he drives with 4 winter tires and would encourage everyone to do the same. It is expensive though, no doubt. That's why I loved what Rodenhiser suggested - you should get a break on your insurance if you have winter tires on your car. Speaking of Rodenhiser, it was GREAT to have him back in the studio today. Fridays weren't the same without him! One of the funniest moments of the day - Rick stopping Moe before he could tell a potential (and probably) offensive joke about Tiger Woods and Stevie Wonder. Very wise move on Rick's part, I'd say. Moe's so funny - it wouldn't be the Hotline without characters like Moe. Another great call was Barry who was second up this morning. He's the one where we have the ongoing schtick where I say "How are you" and he says "Grumpy", but today he told me he wanted to give kudos to the provincial government. Well, I nearly fell out of my seat, but put him on hold. Rick was equally surprised, telling him, "You took your happy pills this morning!"

Anyway.....it was a lot of fun today, thanks for the calls, the support, the e-mails and the comments on this blog.

Have a great weekend - Cindy Day tells me it will warm up!!!

Cheers,

Amber

3 comments:

Mr.k said...

Hello Amber
Really enjoyed the show today....hopefully those decision makers make the right drcisions and keep the Rick Howe show on the air.

Its needed in order for people like me to get the message out to people about what is taking place on CBI with regards to the strip mining of dirty coal.

I know politicans don't like to hear to hear complainers like me on the air bitching about their preformance..

And they as well listen into the show for sometimes a source of info as to how people feel about them or certain issues of the day.

I would not be surprised if in fact there was some political input from some offended politicans as to if it should be kept on the air.

They did it in Cape Breton.

3 people...2 MLAs and 1 drunken councillor of the CBRM
complained to the station owners about me and Bruno and some of the things we had said with regards to the MLA for CB North.

The show was dis- continued.
Every station went FM and the show has not been included.

I would hate to think that the samething may be happening with CJCH....It would just be another way of the government trying to shut up the people....controlling the media... and that sucks big time....

I pray this is not whatis planned.

But if it is I want to thank you and Rick and Brian and Deb and even a Boularderie boy Ian Robinson.

You in paticular have been very friendly and patient for an Ontario gal...lololol..

I very much enjoy the show everyday i can the chance to listen in which is pretty much most days...without the Rick Howe Show my day would be completly different and i am very much set in my ways...It would be a whole different type of day for sure.

So to the 'Decision makers" smarten up....If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it.

Mr.k said...

Now after reading Hawkeye News I am really ticked at CTV and the owers/operators of 92 CJCH.

This is all a move by our governments federaly and provincialy to stiffel the citizens and then feed them propaganda of everything is good in the country and province.

Spin doctors, "spin nurse practioners" , propaganda managers, journalist, "communication advisers"..They are all the same.

The very ideal of the media being controlled by the governments, or influenced by "big business" takes away so many rights of the taxpayer/citizens/public...Freedom of speech to begin with...Our right to know exactly what is going on in the world..Freedom of expression...


As two ladies in bingo pants ,coming out of Walmart in Sydney River were overheard saying, "Ah bye, shes all going to hell in a handbasket"

Pees me off to think that Rick or Bruce or any of the employees of CJCH will take this laying down.

Reminds me of Rarker Barass-Donham would be always putting down the governments of all levels, on a daily basis or whenever the cameras were pointed in his direction.
He was so vocal about how bad the government of NS was and then he ended up going to work for them.
Thats what makes a "hypocrite"

Unknown said...

Hello Amber can you please pass this information along to Rick.

Nova Scotians that want Statutory Holidays to be all paid Holidays

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8325641423

I wish you also had a facebook site for CJCH so that if any news comes up we can post it on there. I sent some emails off to the hotline and they came back. I also want to take this opportunity once again to tell CJCH, please keep the hotline on the air. It's a voice for all Nova Scotians. I do have a question, when CJCH goes to FM is this only for Nova Scotia or is it going to be in other provinces as well?