Friday, April 13, 2007

Guilty of "crapping"!

What that was in reference to, I can't remember..but it's always worth hearing bon mots from Gloria!!

I can't believe her surgery has been delayed. I hope she gets it soon, so as Rick says, she can come back and serve for another 20 years. I have so much respect for that woman. She is a straight shooter, doesn't take things personally, is not afraid of conflict and again, tells it like it is. While she's convalescing she should write one of those guides "Being a city councillor for dummies".

Step one:

Go to meetings

Step two:

Tell the truth

I'm sure Glo will have a few more steps!! Take the poll question we have today on the right side of the blog. I can say on the record, I voted "YES".

Thanks for all the calls today! Another busy show with with the abysmal math scores being the main issue. 72 % of Grade 12s flunked the provincial exam. Wow. That is just depressing. I am looking forward to hearing what Hotline education expert Gary Carson says about that next Wednesday on the show.

If you missed the very end of the show, we got a call from one of the many Davids that call the show. This is the David that strongly hinted Jim Mills would be running against PK for mayor. Rick checked with Jim, who said that was totally untrue! But David called us today and says May 20th....a prominent businessperson will be making an announcement about a mayoral run. I was thinking maybe Victor Syperek might be at it again. We'll see what happens. It would be great if it was someone completely out of the blue, like the Dogfather!!!

Didn't you feel so bad for the caller having the WCB problems? Like he said, one day he's putting in an honest day's work and in an instant, he's in the middle of bankruptcy. It scares me to think how quickly your life could change for the worse. I pray the caller finds the help he needs and hopefully Wayne, the guru of WCB issues in Nova Scotia, can help him out.

The caller, Brian, mentioned something near and dear to my heart - RENT CONTROL!! I don't just blame the province for the lact of rent control. Fast fact: Rent control was eliminated under the John Savage government. I was recently looking at apartments and the rents were exorbitant!! Or if you do get a fair rent amount, you have to pay your utilities. It's the city's fault, the province's fault, the utilities' fault and our fault - for not standing up and saying enough is bloody enough! It is so expensive to live nowadays on a fair wage, let alone if you're making minimum. Continue to call the show and express your concern - it's all we can do until the next municipal, provincial and federal elections.

Speaking of, no one really brought up the issue of "the deal" between Stephane Dion and Elizabeth May. I think it's awesome! Nice strategy there, even though I doubt a Green candidate is going to stand in the way of Dion getting re-elected. But not running a Liberal is a pretty good step in May possibly defeating MacKay. In the last election Peter MacKay won with over 17-thousand votes (http://www.elections.ca/scripts/OVR2006/default.html). The Liberal candidate came in third with just over 10-thousand votes. The NDP finished second with over 13-thousand votes. If the Green party takes away NDP votes in the riding (which is why Jack Layton is so angry), our Elizabeth has a chance, in my humble opinion.

Well...after work today I'm volunteering at the IWK Radiothon. I'm going to be answering the phones, so give me a call to make your pledge!! 1-800-595-2266. Maybe I'll talk to some of you later on. Give C100 a listen later if you want to hear some incredible stories from some incredibly brave kids.

Have a good weekend...and I'll chat with you on Monday.

Cheers!!

Amber

4 comments:

sos said...

Amber, I finally mentioned your blog on the Save Our Sundays web site

I have always enjoyed the hotline and all the different issues that are brought up. This blog is another way for you're listeners to express their views. Concerning Elizabeth May, I sent her a fax, and email asking her where her party stands on Sunday shopping and on Holiday shopping. I then went on to ask her if her party would support a ban on Sunday & Holiday shopping. If stores were banned there would be less emissions, less lights being used etc. All good for the environment. Needless to say the green party has not responded to us. Are they really as green as they propose to be? How can we as a province, support being green and at the same time support stores being open seven days a week? Something wrong with that picture. They talk about us being fined for idling our cars, while at the same time our government allows seven day a week shopping.If we are going to be green lets not make it worse by shopping on Sunday! Let's not encourage stores to open on Holidays either.
On another note, did not see any topic on the UFO guest that was on your program.Just wondering what that web site was that Rick gave out?

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

hey tony!!

i think the website to check is stan friedman's website...

http://www.stantonfriedman.com/

thanks for reading!

sos said...

Amber , I'm sorry this is the web page. Rick gave it out over the air, and I just found it.

http://survey.canadianuforeport.com/

Anonymous said...

Amber.

Good Evening.

After Listening to Rick & Cecil this morning then watching the Moosehead game tonight I now know why they have the term " Rookie".

That said it is always enjoyable to listen to Gloria needless to say agree or disagree She tell it like it should be. It is fair to say her comments make some uncomfortable, One can only wonder why?

Have a good weekend.

Cheers.

Tim
UFCW Canada