Wednesday, April 4, 2007

No more P.K.?

Is the city ready for another mayor?

That was one huge topic on the show today with the insinuation that a prominent businessman is pondering a shot at the mayorship. HMMMMM. Rick, using his masterful investigative journalism skills, asked what the person's first named rhymed with and deduced (nothing gets by him) it was Jim Mills. You might remember Jim and his brother Don on the Hotline back in February talking about the Commonwealth games. Rick said he received the most e-mails in the history of the show from that hour!! So, you know, maybe Jim Mills could be a polarizing figure that could be a challenge for the mayor. Rick asked our fave iron lady, Gloria McCluskey about it and she dismissed it straight up. But man oh man, I can't wait for the 2008 municipal elections. Can you say "high drama"?

Did you read Rodenhiser today? That man cracks me up. He wrote a column on Feb. 28th entitled "Bold leaders venture forth" about councillors giving up their parking on the Parade Square. It's a must read. I have it pinned up at my desk to re-read whenever I need a laugh. It's a classic. Anyway, he had a great column today too. Check out what he says about the Commons on the "If you go" information section. His column on civic pride and the lack thereof sparked a lot of debate as well. A couple of people were blaming teens for a lot of the litter and it's not like I don't agree, but the other day I was walking down Robie Street to go to the dentist and there was an elderly couple about 20 feet ahead of me. Well, all of a sudden I see the lady biff a Robin's donuts cup right on someone's front lawn!! I couldn't believe it!! I was going to say something but they crossed the street. So, it's young and old alike making the city look like crap, that's for sure.

Oh, just to let you know - Rick, Brian, Deb and myself already have the winning ticket for tonight's lottery and we've been practicing our happy dances, so you might as well save yourself some money and abstain from buying one!! HA!

Talk to you tomorrow...and thank you for listening!

Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This morning I heard Ali say the City needs a Mayor with vision.. Let's not forget that if we had a Mayor with vision, this City could be going into a huge debt with the 2014 games.. I always said this council was one of reports and studies and NOT ACTION.

Norm