Thursday, November 29, 2007

Up with Chavez!

Caller Barry, who lives in the South end of Halifax, and I have a familiar routine. I say "How are you" and he says "Grumpy". I am always happy to hear that because grumpy people have the best complaints and that makes the Hotline so much fun to listen to! Anyway, Barry was actually in good spirits today and says we sould appeal to Chavez in Venezuela for some cheap oil so many seniors can survive the winter!! Thanks for the suggestion, Barry!

I'm currently riveted to Karlheinz Schreiber's testimony in front of the Commons Ethics committee. He's crafty. He's not going to answer any questions until he gets the details of his extradition sorted! Nice move! It is really high drama with some gasps going through the gallery. I love politics!!! Now Schreiber is answering a few questions, he says he had an agreement with Mulroney, but never had offered him any employment. As for the 300-thousand dollars, a member of Parliament asked why not write a cheque - and Schreiber said simply, "The cash was available" and refused to mention anything more.

It was interesting when Jim brought up the point about no one saying boo about Ozzy Osbourne coming to town! I mean, this is a guy who bit the head off a dove, is an admitted drug addict and is generally regarded as kind of messed up. In fact, I read Motley Crue's autobiography a few years back and one of the members actually witnessed Ozzy snort a line of ants!! Great book, by the way. Anyway, Jim's point is that Celine is squeaky clean, one of the biggest stars in the world and there was an outcry. Rick said we weren't interested in that concert and I'm just wondering - what is this city interested in? Moncton is going after a CFL team, what do we want? Does this city have a future? Sometimes, I'm not sure.

This HMCS Toronto business is interesting. I was initally aghast, but ex-Navy wife Mary essentially said the wives/husbands need to suck it up! I think both reasons being tossed around why the ship will be coming in on Tuesday instead of Sunday are both equally lame. The first - they need to save gas money? The second - that Peter MacKay can't make it on Sunday to welcome the frigate home - LAME. I can imagine how the families could feel so disappointed though - you have marked that date on the calendar and have to wait two more days. I know 2 days isn't a long time, but when you have your heart set on something...it feels like an eternity.

Walter Thomson was such an interesting guest during hour number 2. Normally, you hear about someone who defends civil liberties and you're picturing someone who is so far to the left it's out of control. You know, someone Gene would label a "Commie"! Walter though, was incredibly balanced and it was very interesting to hear his take on some of the big issues going on right now. I did learn something too: Walter says we have the freedom to be as crazy as we want to be. Good to know.

Caller Shannon voiced her concern about the malls/stores opening on Boxing Day. Even though I have no issue with Sunday shopping (it's been a godsend for me this year), I do think the stores should be closed on Stat. holidays. Let's hope the Liberals do get behind this and support the NDP.

Well, I'm going to go watch more of these proceedings on TV. Total soap opera.

Cheers,

Amber

1 comment:

Mr.k said...

One more day Amber...and your out of here. A well deserved break.
Listening to the show right now as I always do most mornings.
Have a great break, but make sure you come back.