Friday, April 4, 2008

For Jim

What incredibly sad news to wake up to today.

Jim Connors died yesterday after a long battle with colorectal cancer.

I didn't know Jim well, I just knew him as well as I know anyone who regularly comes on the Hotline. We had a rapport, he was a really nice man who was dealt a hand I'm sure he probably wasn't expecting.

I feel like he might have had a few epiphanies later in life, buoyed by his fight against the government and he came out hard against them. I don't know what his political affiliations were, but I'm convinced he was shocked when the government didn't listen to him and approve Avastin.

He could afford the drug himself, but he continually fought for others to have it, in order to have their own lives extended. He deserves a lot of credit for that. Mike Savage pointed this out today - most people aren't activists when they are healthy, let alone when they are dying and that's what kind of strength Jim Connors had. We spoke to him a few weeks back and he had just finished taking 3 trips with each of his kids, in my heart I knew he was close to the end.

I admired Jim, I prayed for him and I know he fought as hard as he could. To Jim's family: we are so sorry for your loss.

We'll miss you, Jim.

Thank you for all your appearances on our show and let's hope the government honours your memory by doing the right thing.

1 comment:

Mr.k said...

Hello Amber...

I as well developed an admiration for Mr. Connors, especially at the poing where he took 3 vacations or trips with his 3 kids.....how cool is that?

When he talked about taking the trips with the kids instantly thought this guy is special....can you imagine the private, personal conversations and bonding they must have created? No doubt very deep conversations....and thats important so close to death.

He was fortunate in that he could afford the meds and trips...he was successful in his career....

But he dies a young man....I am a big believer that when your time is up, your time is up....unfortunetly some people have to suffer and that is just not fair.

But through Mr. Connors suffering came a strong message of the flaws in our health care.

Those who can afford will receive and those who can't will not receive, what may keep them alive longer or for that fact even cure them maybe.

thats a two tiered health system....and it is coming very rapidly to NS and Canada under the Tory government..

But with regards to Mr. Connors he was one of those guys who Rick had on that I thought was a pretty guttsy guy for trying to help others while he was dying.

That takes gutts.

God bless him and his family and may all the great memories his family has , last forever and a day.