Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Mayor's reality check

Again, I get a reality check from the Hotline, this one from Mayor Kelly himself.

I usually chat with the Mayor for a few seconds before he gets on and I start droning on about how depressing the weather was. I had no idea what Rick was talking to him about, I thought it was just city business. The Mayor told me it was better than snow and that I had to change my perspective. I told him he was the most optimistic person I've ever known and he said, "You have to be". Little did I know why. His brother has leukemia and he's donating his stem cells to his brother to hopefully get him better.

I'm not depressed about the weather anymore.

If you want to check out the program Mayor Kelly told us about, here's the link:

www.onematch.com


So, we played trivia today and well, I sucked! I could barely answer any questions as the lifeline. It was not my best lifeline performance, I'm sorry!!! I did get a question right about Lorne Green and brought up the fact he hosted my favourite show when I was a kid called "Lorne Green's New Wildnerness". Rick hadn't heard of it, so I promised him I'd post a link. Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_Greene's_New_Wilderness

Does anyone remember this show, or is it just me? Congrats to Paul, our new champion today!
Now I know that Mud Creek is now called Wolfville. My life is complete. You might have heard Ben doesn't call Rick "Rickster" anymore. He calls him "Me favourite addiction". Nice one!

Anyway, time to write some news, talk to you tomorrow!

Cheers!

Amber

1 comment:

Bevboy said...

Amber, my sister had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma several years ago. Turns out that I was a match for her, so I went through the same process the mayor endured.

I had my stem cell production goosed by drugs. I was hooked up to the same machine Peter Kelly was. Two needles were hooked up to me. One sucked the blood out of me, feeding the blood into a machine, returning the blood (minus most of the stem cells) to my body. This process happened over the course of two days.

My sister is fine now, five years later. I joke with her that it was my stem cells.

BTW, this story was documented on CBC's Health Matters show in 2003.

My best to Peter and Ken Kelly.

Bev