Tuesday, April 1, 2008

HRM - Problem Capital of Canada!

Seriously, does any other city have our many issues? Maybe my opinion is skewed as I hear complaint after complaint during the Hotline. You have no idea - you hear what gets on the air, you have no idea what people say to me off the air. It's a complaint bonanza, sometimes they just start firing and hang up and I haven't said a word!!! Others want me to pass stuff on to Rick and I try to pass on as much as I can that's topical, but honestly, I get at least 10 calls a day from people who don't want to go on, they just want me to pass on the comment. I've also been getting calls lately from a drunk guy, which is, ummm...interesting. I have to kind of filter it for Rick, so it's not information overload. You have to remember too, Rick and I have essentially 4 minutes to talk during the hour, so I've really got to prioritize what I tell him. Anyway, just a little sneak peek into my fascinating life as Hotline producer. Ha!

You might have heard Rick rant against one of our engineers today. Here is what started it all, an April Fool's prank from Will at Halifax Live.

http://www.halifaxlive.com/content/view/1032/2/

Caller Don was talking to Rick about it and Kenny was sitting beside me doing something with the computer. I asked Kenny if he would vote for Rick and he was like, "Uh, no", so I started laughing and Rick asked me what I was laughing at. I told him Kenny wouldn't vote for him and then Rick said he was sending his storm troopers after Kenny, it was very funny as I think Rick may have convinced 6 people to vote for him today! Caller Dave was especially rough on the Rickster, calling him "Mike Duffy" in his treatment of Peter Kelly. Ouch! That stung, since Mike Duffy is not on Rick's list of favourite people, let's put it that way. He also kept referring to him as a lazy hippie.

So, will you go the Eagles concert? That's a great line-up they've put together, that's for sure. Tickets are over a hundred bucks, which is kind of expected. I'm not going. I'm not a huge fan of being in large groups of annoying people, baking in the sun all day drinking 8 dollar gross beer. What I will go see is Elton John if he comes to the Metro Centre. I love Elton John, I really hope the rumours are true (and we hear from excellent sources that they are).

Ernie brought up the issue of a pizza joint charging 1.25 if you get cash back. I'm so surprised places like Sobey's and the Superstore haven't started charging a fee. I'm surprised the banks haven't pressured them to as it's one of the last vestiges to get "free" money. I mean, it's free if you use your own bank machine, but if you're at the grocery store, you can get 20, 40 bucks out for free. It's almost too good to be true, which means it will probably soon come to an end.

Hey, if you want help quitting smoking, here are a couple of numbers for you. 1-877-513-5333 or 424-2025. Good luck!

Well, it's above 0 today, but I could do without the rain. Oh well, we'll survive, right?

Have a great day!

Amber

No comments: