Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Befuddled

That was Mike Savage's assessment of Premier Rodney MacDonald. Rick didn't even bring up the topic today, the MPs did!! They sure didn't hold back on the issue either. I'll have some clips coming up at 4 and 5 on C100. Basically they said being nice isn't getting the MacDonald government anywhere. On the other side of the spectrum, they thought being as vitriolic as Danny Williams wasn't constructive either, but urged Rodney to be a little more outspoken.
It was a busy hour with the MPs. Caller Mickey brought up the Security and Prosperity Partnership signed with Paul Martin back in 2005. He called back after 12 to speak about it a little more. Sounds like we all have to do some investigating!! You can read more by clicking on www.spp.gov or click on the U.S. Homeland Security website and search for S.P.P.

I'm just reading it now...and there is fact/myth section.

http://www.spp.gov/myths_vs_facts.asp

I feel a little better after reading this:

Myth: The SPP was an agreement signed by Presidents Bush and his Mexican and Canadian counterparts in Waco, TX, on March 23, 2005.
Fact: The SPP is a dialogue to increase security and enhance prosperity among the three countries. The SPP is not an agreement nor is it a treaty. In fact, no agreement was ever signed.

Myth: The SPP is a movement to merge the United States, Mexico, and Canada into a North American Union and establish a common currency.
Fact: The cooperative efforts under the SPP, which can be found in detail at http://www.spp.gov/, seek to make the United States, Canada and Mexico open to legitimate trade and closed to terrorism and crime. It does not change our courts or legislative processes and respects the sovereignty of the United States, Mexico, and Canada. The SPP in no way, shape or form considers the creation of a European Union-like structure or a common currency. The SPP does not attempt to modify our sovereignty or currency or change the American system of government designed by our Founding Fathers.

Let's hope it's the truth!!

Mike Savage had a great line today. He said he was talking to Peter Poilievre, a Conservative MP, and told him "You don't know the difference between the Atlantic Accord and a Honda Accord". You probably heard me laughing in the background. I always razz the MPs about taking time off since watching question period every afternoon is part of my routine. I hate when I can't tune in in the afternoon. They think I need to get a life. I agree.

It's strange to see the Swiss Air 111 crash in the news again. I mean, it was such a huge story. I wasn't here for it, but I remember waking up that morning and hearing my news director in Windsor, ON at the time read that story during his 7 o' clock newscast and just feeling chills. Rick mentioned the website where you can listen to air traffic controllers from all over the world - it's www.liveatc.net.

So..thanks to everyone who asked about the Bluenose Marathon! I am happy to say I completed my 10K run (mostly) intact. I wish I would have broken an hour, but my final time was 1:05...good enough for 864th place or something like that!! Thanks to all the people who came out in the rain to cheer on the runners. It was another great year and it made me really glad to live in Halifax. There are some great people in this town.

Should be another busy day tomorrow...so I hope you tune in!

Enjoy your day!

Amber

No comments: