Wednesday, May 16, 2007

To strike or not to strike...that is the question

I'd like to give Premier Rodney MacDonald a Hotline round of applause. Whenever I get a government news release in the afternoon, I know it will generate conversation the next day on the Hotline. So for that reason and that reason only....Thank you Premier.


As expected, taking away health care unions right to strike was extremely contentious today. I thought Rick was right on asking the question about the teacher's union too. There can be an argument made for all unions being "essential". As I mentioned before, Joan Jessome does quiet rage so well. I spoke to her yesterday afternoon and she was fuming, but she channels it into her words and she's very well-spoken don't you think? All I know is that I'm a union member and if someone told me I didn't have the right to strike because the news had to get on the air, I'd feel castrated in a way, so I get where the workers are coming from. I don't understand why people aren't taking this umbrage out on the politicians who give themselves raises whenever they damn well feel like and work like 30 days a year in the legislature! The leg. wrapped up a few weeks ago...this legislation won't be introduced until the fall. In the meantime, the politicians are receiving their entitlements and don't even have to do squat! I know there are hardworking MLAs like Bill Estabrooks, out on the road everyday talking to people. But direct the anger in the right areas! If it came to giving more money to the nurse or doctor who will save my life, or the x-ray tech that will find my cancer, or the therapist that's going to help me walk again, well, they will beat out a politician every time (in my humble opinion).

Wow, I felt like Rick for a moment there.

In other news....

There is a news conference in 15 minutes to update us on this development in the latest 2 murders in Metro. As soon as I get an update...I'll post it for you.


What did you think of the Bill Casey interview? Despite the fact he voted to kill the accord, as a a person, Bill Casey is an extremely good-humoured individual. Seriously, one of the nicest, funniest people you'd ever meet. That being said, did you buy his excuses? He called just a few minutes before newstime. Maybe he could come in the studio for an hour one day and take calls - now that would be interesting!!

What was up with Gary Hines? I'm sure Mayor Kelly wasn't angry, or else the Mayor would have called the show like he does ALL THE TIME and taken Rick to task. He didn't because it was a JOKE and it was FUNNY. I guess someone lost their sense of humour when they lost the last election. Thanks again to the mayor for the (expired) birthday cake!

Look who showed up at council last night - GLORIA!! We're so glad she's back and healthy.

Paul Pettipas with the Homebuilders association threw this bon mot out from council last night. He says Brad Johns claimed "he wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack". Thoughts? I hear he's an excellent DJ though!

Well kids....a grey day...but don't let it get you down!

More tomorrow,

Amber

No comments: