Friday, May 25, 2007

It's algebra time.....get out your sticks!

That was the tongue-in-cheek suggestion by Kathleen, a teacher who worked with Gary Carson and called to voice her support for him today. Not every call was positive. Gene didn't support him, making the valid point that if you actively criticized your boss, you probably would be fired. But that doesn't make it right though, in my opinion. People can't be afraid to speak out, especially when it was constructive criticism by an expert in the field! Plus, the government needs to realize how its heavy handed tactics look to the public.

The story that I follow religiously is the saga of Sandy and Heli Munroe. It breaks my heart. All the man wants to do is see his wife again. It was good to get an update from Sandy today and it sounds like his spirits are up. Good luck Sandy!!! I hope you get her back soon.

So AJ wants to run in the Bluenose Marathon next year. I say good for him! I know Rick can't run because of his knees and it's not a sport for everyone. I usually only run in the summer to get outside. I'm not one of those people who gets up in a blizzard to get my run in. No thanks! I wish AJ good luck and I hope to be participating with him next year. He was interested in racing Rick, so do you think I should challenge him? He seems to like these challenges. It's on!

Rick mentioned that I saw the trailer to the new documentary Sicko by Michael Moore. I think it looks great! I think there's going to be a lot about Canada in it too. MM shot a big portion of Bowling for Columbine in my hometown of Windsor, ON. He made the point that in Windsor, which is right across from Detroit, the crime is practically non-existent, especially compared to the Motor City. Confession time: I soooo wanted the Red Wings to win the Stanley cup again!!!! I'm not even a hockey fan, but I go for all the Detroit teams. It's like the law in Windsor, so sue me. Anyway, back on topic, here is the link to the trailer if you want to check it out!

http://movies.aol.com/movie/sicko/26778/trailer

In regards to whether the police should have jumped in to try to save the 19 year old who drowned in the Arm earlier this week - the fact that the suggestion was even made is unfortunate. I know it seems like it came from the grief of a friend, and I appreciate that. But to suggest the officers just stood around and sipped a coffee or something and let someone die in front of them is ludicrous. As Constable Jeff Carr told us, the officers felt helpless and realized, he was too far out. As Tim said, you know how on a sunny day, you dip your leg into the pool and are chilled by the cold. That pool is probably 20 degrees. The water in the Arm was 3 degrees. Plus being in an unlit area, even if the officer did swim out, without a light, he or she couldn't see or anything. It's just a sad, sad story, but not one that should be blamed on HRP.

Anyway...

Thank you for your calls this week. You, the listener/reader, make the Hotline what it is - the number one talk show in Metro. Thank you for your comments, suggestions, information and sometimes just a hello. Rick and I truly appreciate you guys.

Next week looks to be so busy - "The Rodenhiser" is in on Monday and other guests next week include Elizabeth May and Darrell Dexter. We hope you tune in!!!

Have a wonderful weekend - I'm going to try and get rid of this sore throat that's been plaguing me for 2 weeks!!

Cheers,

Amber

2 comments:

Mr.k said...

Ok Amber, I have looked at all the pics of the runners in the Blusnose, so which one are you crossing the finish line?

Have a great weekend and will be tuning in next week. Especially Wed. when Elizabeth May is on. She has been a strong supporter in our fight to stop the strip mining on Boularderie Island.

She has to be about the only politican that I feel I can say comes across as sincere and down to earth. They are scarse.

Are you running the Cabot Trail in their run. Lobsters at the end I believe.

Anonymous said...

Amber.

Good Evening.

It is hard to believe another week has come and come. That said before we know it June will be here where does the time go.

Any way I hope come Monday you will be back to your Normal self. well sort of Normal that is you being from Windsor and all, Enjoy & keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Tim
UFCW Canada