Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Two time loser from the Island

That was Moosehead Mike's description of Ben today! We put them both on the air together for a little smackdown and it was pretty funny. Ben gave us his predictions for the PEI election yesterday, which were wrong, but in his defence, I don't think even Robert Ghiz saw himself winning 23/27 seats! It's very interestesting though - the Green Party finished third in the election over the NDP. According to an Elizabeth May news release, it's the first time that's ever happened in any provincial election. You can hear May's thoughts about the election and many more issues tomorrow during the first hour of the show.

It was quite busy today! The lines were jammed for the councillors, as they usually are. I know we slam politicians all the time, but you really do have to a thick skin to be a politician, especially in this town. CBRM's Vince Hall is going to need that thick skin. Isn't the crazy that he went to his day job, but then calls in sick to the budget meetings! Yikes.

Caller "Inch" led off the show with a call about motorcycle safety, in connection with the horrendous accident on the 103 on Sunday. That is truly the saddest story and according to the papers anyway, it seems like the cause of the crash is still a mystery.

Rick expressed an interest in getting back on the bike. I can totally understand that. My grandpa used to ride and he took us on his bike all the time, it was awesome! I remember being about 8 or something and we went on this dirt road and hit a bump and went airborne! Nowadays I would have probably screamed my head off and never got on a bike again, but as a kid, my grandpa and I just laughed and talked about how awesome it was! It's amazing the lack of fear kids have! I remember he always told me to lean into the turns, but thinking I knew something about physics at the age of 8, I would always covertly lean against the turn, thinking I would somehow be righting the bike. Ahh..good times. I can't believe Rick said he saw a motorcyclist doing a wheelie on the highway! That's just stupid.

Did you see the clip of Miss USA falling in her evening gown? Now, you now schadenfreude is a powerful thing, but I was kind of creeped out by it. She doesn't show any human emotion. You would think you would laugh, or maybe cry or look horrified, but she gets up in one super human motion and then plasters her creepy pageant smile on. It's actually disturbing.

So David called today, the David with the alleged mayoral candidate. He says they're getting a late start and just called to slam the councillors. God knows who is running and when they'll announce, or if David is just pulling our leg. We'll just have to wait and see.

All this transit talk reminded me of living in Hamburg. The public transportation was absolutely incredible. There was the U-bahn (subway), the S-bahn (light rail), ferries and buses serving 1.7 million people. I think ferries in general are a good idea and I liked the idea of a ferry serving not just Bedford, but maybe other places as well. 30 million for just Bedford to Halifax does seem kind of expensive, maybe if it was the blueprint or the first step in a ferry strategy or something. Take the poll question today and let us know what you think. I think Bruce had a great point about raising the driving age to say, 18 and they you've got an opportunity to get new transit customers in the meantime. Right now, kids think they must use public transport until they get their licence and then they're done. I think it needs to be ingrained as a functional part of life and not just something you use if you can't afford a car. Rodenhiser talked about using transit yesterday. I think it's very handy, unless, your bus doesn't show up, which was the problem Larry Hughes mentioned today! In the budget, they talked about installing a "real time" Go-time system. Right now, when you call the Go-time, it tells you when the next scheduled bus will come, which sometimes means nothing. With the real time system, it will actually tell you with precision when your bus will be there. They had that in Hamburg too, and it's great to know exactly how much time you have, rather than just an optimistic figure.

Well, they're calling for showers this afternoon...but it's still sunny outside. I'm not complaining though!

Hey, I tried a home remedy to try and get rid of my sore throat today - gargling with cayenne pepper! It wasn't so bad and my throat does feel better. Has anyone else tried this...or I am just nuts?

Have a great day!

Amber

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We Haaaaaaaaaaaa , soon gonna be a 3 time loser , A.J. the Fartin Senior is gonna be the Summer Hotline Host and not my choice , THE RODENHISER !!