Thursday, May 24, 2007

What a vindictive, petty bunch

Could Rick have come up with a more fitting description for the Nova Scotia Education Department for its treatment of Gary Carson?

As you may or may not have heard, the Education Dept. cancelled a contract they had with Gary, telling him it was because of his comments on the Hotline a couple of months ago. This is such a serious concern! Can someone else who calls the Hotline be next? It could happen to anyone who calls the show. Check out Rick's column in the Daily News tomorrow, where he will address this issue. Rick's question was a valid one - from how high did this decision come? We know the disdain the Premier's top p.r. person holds towards the show. Trying to silence dissenters/whistleblowers is one of the tenets the Harper government holds dear. It's sad it seems like the provincial government is reading from the same petty playbook. A big Hotline SHAME to the people making the decision to try to silence Gary Carson. Sadly, it was poorly played. Gary and Rick are two people who will never be silenced and please continue to follow the saga on the Hotline.

The Police Chief was in today for an hour. Say what you want about the Chief, but he is one of the nicest men I've ever met. I think that's why callers are so docile when talking to him because he is very respectful to people and you can tell he is very passionate about his work. Okay, as Rick would say, enough sucking up! Violent crime is down 13 per cent in the first quarter of this year but the Chief admitted during a commercial break, there is a lot more work to do. I told the Chief, I'm most concerned with the muggings in this town. There are a lot of them, it seems like at least one a day. Sometimes they are violent, sometimes they aren't. It's scary enough though that I'm constantly looking over my shoulder when I walk anywhere and I hate that feeling.

Rick brought up an idea that was brought up by a prof at Cape Breton University a few years back. But he couldn't get the Chief to bite on the idea of licencing parents!! I think, in theory, it's a great idea. One of my pet peeves is seeing moms and dads with babies in strollers jaywalking. Like, across Robie Street!!! Putting your baby in that much danger drives me nuts. Also, when I see parents giving kids pop and sweets. I get mad at my brother for letting my 2 year old niece watch way too much TV. But hey, I'm not a parent, so I think I know everything right? I know I definitely do not.

Rick's stories constantly astound me. I hope he gets around to start writing his book this summer. Turns out Rick met the Queen Mum and went on a cruise with Princess Diana!! Do you think he took his hat off?

About the police stopping the runners for the Bluenose Marathon - I didn't see that at all. I can see how maybe 3 hours after the actual Marathon started they would start to let traffic go through a little more. Even the organizers didn't think it was that much of an issue in the newspaper today. The police officers were very encouraging during the run and cheered for the runners. It felt good, especially when I reached the point where I thought I would need to be defibrillated. CLEAR!!!!

Well, your thoughts about retribution in a democracy are welcomed!!

More tomorrow on this issue - I can't wait to read Rick's column!

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Amber

2 comments:

Mr.k said...

How pathetic is it to live and pay taxes in a province where if you speak up and say anything about an issue, that the person would loose their job.
Seems to me a good lawyer would have a field day with a case like that.
But it is true that these so called "spin doctors" "communication advisers"
"propaganda managers" can feed the public nothing but lies and get away with it.
Interesting enough two former Premiers and the Speaker of the House, Cecil Clarke(of all people) would be preparing to bullshit the public through, Democracy 250....while at the same time people looses their jobs because they spoke out against their employer.
Whats next? Deportation for speaking out against the government? Shipped off the Newfoundland for calling the Premier an arsehole?
What happened to Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression?
Canada....Glorious and free?

We are getting further and further into a dictatorship government, Canadian style.

What a country??????

Unknown said...

I doubt that Rick took off his hat. :P