Thursday, May 10, 2007

Green side up this time!

Brian Phillips is the funniest man alive.

That was his quote to Ben before the actual show started in regards to laying sod. I could not stop laughing about that throughout the whole show. In fact, I'll probably be walking down the street and you'll see this person laughing to herself and you'll be thinking "She's nuts", but I'm actually just laughing about the hysterical things Brian Phillips comes up with every morning. Remember "Thanks Dick!" from a few days ago. You rule Brian!

So since David Rodenhiser is in pretty regularly (or The Rodenhiser) as Rick called him today, we're going to produce a little special intro for him. I already have it worked out in my head, so in a couple of weeks, get ready for something special when David comes in. We received another postcard from the Island yesterday. Ben's postcard campaign continues!

Lots of interesting calls today including a call from Doug, who heard through his "channels" that Stephen Harper wears a wig. As DR suggested, his hair might be a bit better if it was a piece. Any thoughts?

It's sad about the Moirs plant eh? I mean, the history of the Moir name goes back to the late 1800s in the area! We receivecd a couple of calls about people who say they will stop eating Hershey products because of this closure. Here is the contact info I found for Hershey Canada if you want to inform them of your decision.


Hershey Canada Inc.
2350 Matheson Blvd E
Mississauga, Ontario
L4W 5E9

or:

Consumer Relations: 1-800-468-1714

There is no e-mail available for the Canadian company, but here's a link to the American website's online form:

http://www.hersheys.com/contactus/contact-us-date.asp


Here's an interesting article from Forbes today about the Hershey situation. Turns out we're not alone in Dartmouth - they're also shutting down a plant in Montreal.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/05/10/ap3707421.html


Rick spoke with Lana Garrison with the Trax program through the Ecology Action Centre about bike paths and bike safety etc. My grandma gave me a bike last year, but I haven't been on it yet! I'm frightened to ride on the road, especially Robie Street. Plus I look dorky in a helmet (even though I know you should wear one!) I wish the city was like Hamburg, Germany where I used to live. There were roads (obviously), bike paths on every major thoroughfare...and then huge sidewalks. So everyone had a place. It was nice and you didn't hear about a lot of accidents.

I thought Danny Graham was really well-spoken today (well, he always is) about a very complex issue. We had only a couple of calls that hour, so it seems like everyone was sitting back and listening. I liked Andrew's point a lot - if a third nation came in and took our land, we'd feel very resentful too. That what I love about the Hotline. People will call and give you a completely different way of looking at an issue. I mean, it works on Rick too. He used to be for gas regulation right?

Well I think that about does it for today. I know a lot of people have been calling about not being able to listen to the stream on the internet, and the engineers are working on it!!!

Have a wonderful day....more tomorrow! Sports during hour number one...and then the FRIDAY FREE FOR ALL!

Take care,

Amber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber.

Good Evening.

It is truly unfortunate that another 600 plus Jobs are leaving the Province.

The recent announcement is truly, truly unfortunate that said this evening,My thoughts are with the
Workers and their families.

Looking back over the last couple of months the Province has lost about 1500 full time Jobs those being Moirs,Maple Leaf,Trenton Etc.

These 1500 plus jobs are for the most part Good Paying Full Jobs with Benefits & Pensions Etc.The ecomomic this will have on the Province will be no less then
tremendous.

It will be interesting to see how the Province responds to and deals with the loss of Revenue from 1500 plus Jobs.

In closing it is time we start asking some serious questions.

Tim
UFCW Canada