Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sloane calls for killer geese to patrol park

One of the many, many topics discussed on today's show. I don't even know where to begin. Tonnes of calls, tonnes of different topics. Thank you!!

The first caller today, Barry, brought up the issue of buses and that led to a discussion about low floor buses, strollers on buses, rude passengers etc. One day I want to bring Rick on a Metro Transit bus to experience what it's like to be a passenger. I'm not a huge fan of the low floor buses, because they get so incredibly crowded, but if they are helping people get around who normally couldn't, I should not complain about them!!

Dawn Sloane popped by for the second hour and it was so hilarious when Rick was slamming the councillors when she was sitting right next to him and she's just shaking her head because her mic wasn't on and she couldn't respond!! I can't tell you when she called him off the air, but it was funny (and deserved!) Something very strange happened while she was on. We're on the second floor of our building and all of a sudden we see a ladder right outside of the window. Rick turns off his mic and wondered if someone was trying to get to Sloane. Then a man climbed up the window and we're just staring outside wondering what the heck this person was doing climbing the side of the building. Then we saw what was in his hand - he was a window washer. Does that say a lot about us that we were riveted by this for several minutes?

Pat Murphy called in regards to Ann's complaints about Access-a-Bus. Pat says you can call and schedule Access-a-Bus service for any reason. It doesn't have to be an appointment. Obviously they need to know where you're going, but they don't restrict the service.

I thought caller Robert had a great point during hour number 2. He noticed that cars barely stop or slow down or pay any heed at all to emergency vehicles on the roads. I thought I was the only one that noticed that!!! Seriously, I'll be walking down the street, hear a siren and the cars will keep going like it's nothing. In Ontario, when I took my written driving test, there was this question I found so hilarious. The question was: What do you do when you see an ambulance with its lights flashing in your rearview mirror? It was multiple choice, so one answer was the correct one...pull over to the side of the road and let it go by. Another answer (the wrong one, obviously) was "speed up and try to pass it". That's literally what it seems like people do here! It's nuts!!

Now, I know I slam Halifax a lot. It's mainly fuelled from the Hotline, but today I wanted to say something nice. Yesterday I was running on the bridge around 8:15 and I looked over and saw the sun setting over the water and it was absolutely stunning. Say what you want about Halifax, but the city has been blessed with a lot of natural beauty and I really appreciated it last night.

Back to the negative!!! Troy's story was unreal! He drove his motorcycle over this seemingly massive pothole and nearly died and damaged his bike. When Troy gave us the dimensions of the pothole Rick said, "That's not a pothole, that's a mine!" Turns out, if no one has reported the pothole, Troy is out of luck in terms of getting money from the city. If it has been reported, Troy may be able to recoup some of his expenses. Good Luck Troy! FYI - the pothole is at Dunbrack before Willet and Troy says he's been driving by and there are no signs there yet. He's going to keep us posted but in the meantime - be careful!

Here is the link for the Grandmothers to Grandmothers group. Check it out!

http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/grandmothers.htm

Ben from the Island has started a postcard campaign. We just got his first one with the words Rickster on it (of course), then SUMMER HOTLINE HOST - DAVID RODENHISER!!!

He says he's going to keep sending them until Rick changes his mind. I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Thank you for listening, calling, reading and being a part of the Hotline!

Cheers,

Amber

1 comment:

Mr.k said...

Hello Amber
I finally have CJCH back...
I was starting to go into withdrawals...Like I was missing out on things.

If you think the sunsets are beautiful in Halifax then come to Boularderie Island and watch the sun setting over the beautiful Bras D'or Lakes..The Great Bras D'or.

Living 3/4 of a mile up the side of a hill in the woods makes living here our own little paradise.

The sun setting over Kelly's Mountain makes you sit back and appreciate how mother nature keeps us entertained.

Hopefully tomorrow I will still be able to pick you up on line.

Yesterday we had the largest forest fire in Nova Scotia taking place on Boularderie Island...Started by a contractor clearing trees. This isn't the first time he has started a forest fire that got out of control.
Forest contractors have a permanent license to burn. Even though they are now suppose to chip the wood.
And because he had a permit he is NOT responsible for the damages, even though a private citizen, setting a fire can be fined and jailed.

The Department of Natural Resources sure does some things in a strange way.

Advise to Rick::: I used to be addicted to Coke as well...A couple of 600mls a day i addition to my tea with Twin. I tried many others to get me off the Coke. I am now addicted to Coke-Zero. The next best I have come to the Real Thing.

Richard