Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Look to the Terminator!

I see what Bruce was saying today about wanting your politicians to a) have vision and then b) do something about it.

Stephen MacNeil is doing something about it, I mean he ran for the leadership and won. I guess I just expected him to come out firing. The media honeymoon won't last long, so you would think you would take an hour on the Hotline to explain your vision, not just say you don't have any answers yet, but you definitely will when an election is called. They always say "Trust us". Do you? Nice guy and everything, but I'm a little tired of hearing words and having people not answer questions. Did you hear the answer to if he would take away for the right to strike for essential workers? Neither did I. He said he's not a politician and that he's an "ordinary Nova Scotian trying to do the best he can". Thoughts?

Bruce had a good line - you can take what he said and put it in a bag and sell it to the farmers! I don't mean to slam this particular politician, but I think I speak for the majority of listeners when I say it's just so frustrating to hear a politician talk and not say anything. Are you with me?

I was so aggravated when I lost my blog yesterday. Rodenhiser was in defending his column he wrote about the 1 day walkout at the IWK. Earlier on Tuesday's show Joan Jessome slammed him and his column and if you heard the interview she was seriously ticked. JJ does quiet rage really well.

Rick recounted the most hysterical thing from the weekend. He was at a basketball tournament and a coach was asking him how he felt about the MacNeil win. Rick responded, but then made his almost perfunctory remark about how the Premier has stumbled and bumbled from one issue to the next and the coach asked him, "Do you know who you are talking to?" Rick didn't and it turns out it was Scott Armstrong, who is the PRESIDENT OF THE PC PARTY OF NOVA SCOTIA! HA! Yeah, we had a snowball's chance in hell of getting the Premier on our show and now it's a snowflake.

Random Hotline moment du jour: What was up with Rick calling John Baird a "big ugly bird"?

The most ridiculous thing I heard today was about the Shane Doan issue. Jack Layton is totally persona non grata to me right now. He accuses Harper of playing politics with the soldiers and instead of voting with the Liberals to get the troops home on schedule in 2009, he holds out and of course LOSES a motion to bring them home now. Way to go Jack, really, well played.

Then to come out and condone Shane Doan for a comment he didn't even make 2 YEARS AGO and to get a commons committee to investigate it. Really, again, well played. If he's really so interested in dealing with what happened in the past, about about hmm...trying to force the Harper government to sign the Kyoto protocol. Canada signed in 1997. Trying to change history there might be a good idea.

Wow, I feel quite jaded today, which is what a good Hotline show tends to do to me!!

Councillor Hendsbee called off the air in relation to the compact fluorescent bulbs. He echoed what a bureaucrat told us last week that there's a place in Burnside that actually makes a machine that, for lack of a better description, eats the bulbs. So Hendsbee has asked for report to go back to council asking why this machine couldn't be installed at Enviro Depots etc. As Rick would say "Go get 'em councillor!"

So hope this blog suffices for two days and be sure to give us a call tomorrow. Let us know what you think about MacNeil and Brendan Haley from the Ecology Action Centre is in to talk about all this green stuff going on lately. Call him and challenge him, as callers Maxwell and Gary did today with Rick.

Be careful out there - full moon tonight!! I remember getting a call in the newsroom a few years back on the night of the full moon and there was a woman running down Portland Street buck naked!! Full moon indeed.

Cheers,

Amber

4 comments:

MrK said...

Well Amber my feelings about Stephen MacNeil is that he is no different than the rest of the politicans.

He really didn't answer any questions....He just danced around them.

I didn't like the answers he gave with regards to strip mining....He would support strip mining I am sure.

I believe somebody must have had a talk with him to make sure he knows how to carry the party line.

Just another politican...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I had to turn the dial from 11-12 today.I just hate listenen to newly elected politicians with no answers to good quality questions.It's happened one too many times and when I turned the dial back at 12 Rick and Bruce made it clear I missed nothing.And of course I was ugly at politicians in general after hearing of their attack on my religion{hockey} the night before.Rick made some points about Shane's parents and I heard Jeremy Roenick,his teamate,say that the word "fudge" was the extent of Shane's curse words.So the guys a genuine guy and his leadership is second to none.So you politicians,thats why he's captain of our Canadian Team.Leave him alone and deal with healthcare,education,military,etc.I was happy to see 1 politician today though,and that was K Dryden,who said politicians should stay out of hockey and stick with the issues that I mentioned above.I guess to close and to my dissmay,as a Toronto Maple Leaf enthusisat, I have to acknowledge that 40 years ago today,leaf fans were in their glory as the cup was in our corner!maybe next year.Thanks Amber.....derek

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

hey!

i completely agree - kudos to ken dryden for having some much needed common sense!!!

and richard...it's shameful that s.m. knew nothing at all about the issues on the island. SHAME!

thanks for listening guys!

amber

Mr.k said...

Well like I said Amber , MacNeil is no different than the rest of the politicans.
Doesn't know anything beyond their own back yard.

Francis MacKenzie was aggroant and MacNeil is ignorant(see Mark Parent for definition) Ignorant to what is going on around him

When him and the other wannabees were going through the province with their debates, when they arrived in Sydney Mines none of them knew anything about the strip mining.

When I was on the road and to speak before any group of people I always made sure I did my homework about the area.
Know your territory.