Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lessons learned from today's Hotline

1) Never ask Al Hollingsworth for a singing telegram.

That's about it!!! No, it was a fun show today remember the "good ol' days" with two fantastic individuals Pat Connelly and Al Hollingsworth. I love Pat Connelly's voice. When he cracks the mic, I'm just in awe of the guy. Both of them are so jovial and listening to them made me want to live during that time, it sounded like an absolute blast. Obviously there were issues (wars etc.) but one thing I think they had that we don't have is - time. It seems like they were able to live in moments and really experience them. Now with all the technology around us, it feels like there aren't that many really real moments to experience and treasure. There is always something to check on, click on, watch, listen to or do. It is truly hard to "tune out" nowadays as hard as I try.

Rick's conversation with John Williamson with the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation was certainly interesting. 35 % of the price of gas in this province is tax! It's Gas Tax Honesty Day, so John gave us those shocking stats. 15 cents per litre is a provincial tax, 10 cents is the Federal Exise tax and the HST on top of that! Tax on Tax!! I was thinking about finally getting a car in the fall, but I don't know...I don't want to have to make the choice between gassing up the ol' car and eating.

This foreign stripper story is out of control. I put it on Rick's desk yesterday and wrote "Is this really a priority?" The way the government is pushing this, you would have thought it was one of the 5 pillars of their "new" government as one of the callers mentioned. Foreign strippers. Does this sound like something that needed a grand news release or am I missing something here? Wouldn't it have been funny to have one of the ministers going to an actual club to make the announcement?

5Pm today - rally at Grand Parade for the International Day against Homophobia. I think whether or not you think being gay is right or wrong, I think we can all agree a society with less hatred is a step in the right direction.

I think everyone agreed that Gene and his hatred was completely off base today - agreement on that IS definitely a step in the right direction.

More rain today....will it ever stop? I love how the anchors at CTV keep snipping at Peter Coade. It takes a thick skin to be a meteorologist in Nova Scotia!

Have a great one,

Amber

No comments: