Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crazily Correct

Trivia is so much fun. It's my absolute favourite thing to do on the Hotline, besides a good old fashioned phone assault. As I told Rick, he has totally been my mentor in how to be a poop disturber and I'm eternally grateful!

Congrats to Don for the big win today! Don is the son of another Hotline caller Frank - a little Hotline caller trivia for ya! I thought Frances was going to pull it out, but Don knew too much. Thanks to everyone for participating and again, I thought I had another stellar hour as the lifeline missing just one question about hockey, but since I hate hockey, I didn't really count that question!!! Ha!

So much to comment on today....first up, the cloth bags. A boycott of Superstore because they're trying to phase out plastic and maybe do a little something kind for the Earth? Give me a break!!! I'm just in shock about that insanity. But I agree - they should be doing a lot more! For example, the bags are made in China, which is ridiculous. Secondly, when Sobeys and Superstore package food from the deli or something, like feta cheese - it's a #5 recyclable - meaning it can't be recycled here in Halifax and must go in the garbage. Both grocery stores could switch to these biodegradable plastic bags, something I know they do at HMV @ Mic Mac Mall, or go back to paper. What happened to the paper bags? Not like I want more trees to be cut down, but again, there is more both stores can do, but boycotting them is so counter-productive and frankly, a little dumb. I'm not sure how long Ray is going to live surviving solely on nuts and spices from the Bulk Barn!

I'm all for this suggestion to get rid of Tim Hortons' cups. They are a plague!! It's so easy just to bring your own mug and it costs less! Or if you get a Tim Horton's paper cup, you should have to pay more! That was a great suggestion by a caller today. Rick is going to be speaking with someone tomorrow who he thought didn't like him on this issue. Stay tuned for that!

Happy Birthday to the person who is arguably the most famous person from Halifax right now - Ellen Page! She is turning 21 today and I can't wait to watch the Oscars on Sunday to see if she wins! She was so great in Juno!! I saw John Dunsworth talking about her today on CBC, too bad we already talked to him about Ellen, like, a month ago!

I cannot believe tomorrow is Friday already. This week has gone by unbelievably fast. I'm pretty sure I say that every week, but it's true. Busy day tomorrow, I'm sure the same is on tap for tomorrow.

Until then, take care!

Amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on the packaging. Things have to change for the better. I find it especially blatant on electronic merchandise.I purchased a SD Card for my camera.It is about the size of a postal stamp but it came in a thick hard plastic box about three inches by five inches.Then of course it was shrink wrapped on top of that. It is crazy. I looked around at other packaging while i was in the store and I noticed numerous items that were very small in great big hard plastic packaging.Things have to change for the better.

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

Absolutely - so much packaging goes right into the garbage and it's completely unnecessary!!