Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dante's pothole

Big thanks to Andrew for the title today. Gee, Hotline listeners are so clever, I don't even have to think anymore. He's coined that after listening to Peter Stoffer say potholes cannot be blamed on just the municipality; the funding from all three levels of government contributes to potholes and crumbling infrastructure in general. He related that to the Divine Comedy, made of three parts, hell, purgatory and paradise! Nice correlation there, buddy!

Potholes were the big issue today and it's just insane driving around having to avoid these massive holes in the ground! I did a little Hotline experiment today. I called in a pothole, well, a series of potholes anyway, and in 14 days I'll let you know if they've been fixed! It's getting ridiculous and I think John O'Brien's attitude was just a little too cavalier. I loved cabbie Bob's call today. He really went off and really wants to see some changes in October during the municipal election. He mentioned something I've been wanting to talk about for a while. There are too many damn councillors! Although I like most of the councillors and think they are committed to their jobs blah, blah blah - there are too many of them. They should slice the number in half, raise the salary and make it a full-time job, bottom line. Nothing is accomplished at council because 24 people want to have their say! It's ridiculous. No wonder if takes staff so long to bring back reports, if they are working on requests from 24 people? Slice it down, make it full-time, let's get something done in this bloody city!

Mike Savage and Peter Stoffer were in during hour number 2, of course mocking me for my love of Question Period. I think they both do a great job in what Peter calls "Romper room for adults". I hate the MPs who are on the government side and ask a question and keep their eyes locked on a piece of paper and sound so stilted, "In 2006, 700 people received important assistance from the government to help them with their Multiple Sclerosis. Minister Clement, will this important assistance continue to flow to needy individuals in the spring budget?". Then they sit down nervously and anticipate the already prepared answer from the Minister. "I want to thank the honourable member for their question. In 2006......." Then they drone on and normal people tune out because it's such a game. They should give Mike more to do - he's an awesome MP, up on what's going on and fiery when he needs to be. I think he could take on John Baird no problem. Stephane Dion should do something right - give him a critic role at least!!!! A caller off the air thought there was too much of a lovefest going on between Mike and Peter. I don't feel that way - they disagree, but are respectful about it. It's the total opposite of what's happening in Ottawa now - deliberate unconcilliatory-ness. Wow, total George W. Bush there with the creation of that word. Anyway, it's a strategy the Premier is using now and it's not working. God, these boys and their love of drama!

Anyway, are you with Peter on creating an "M & S free zone" - standing for Mulroney and Schreiber? Go away and take your dirty money with you!

A little sunshine today - enjoy it!

Cheers,

Amber

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your blogs Amber I read them every day and I listen to the Hotline every day.For the past ten years I have worked as a letter carrier listening to your show each and every day getting me through blizzards, snow storms,heat waves and more. Thank you for keeping me informed.

The CJCH Halifax Hotline said...

Thank you for listening and reading!

That really means a lot.