Tuesday, February 19, 2008

We deserve better

Thanks to Tim for the great title today!

We do, don't we? Governments plead poverty constantly, but that certainly doesn't stop some politicians from making fair salaries, getting generous car, apartment and food allowances and making tough decisions that don't affect them. It's not fair and we have to demand better treatment from these people! Good timing too, as 3 elections are on the horizon. Definitely the municipal one in October, plus the possibility of a federal election this spring and a provincial one. I told Rick, I think the provincial Liberals have a lot of momentum going into this sitting of the legislature. Here's my guess: NDP Minority, followed by the Liberals and then the demoralized PCs.

The funeral for Karissa Boudreau is being held in about 15 minutes time. I wonder if the suspects questioned by police will show up? I feel so badly for that poor little girl. I think it's going to be a huge relief when the real story comes out and people are charged.

So, I'm sure it's something Rick may mention tomorrow, since it's something right up Gary Carson's alley. The province sent out a news release today saying 67% of all Grade 3s in the province met expectations after a provincial math test administered last June. Here's the release, you can read it yourself and see how they try to spin it. It's hilarious.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20080219002

Here's a line that really stuck out for me:

"Students also did well in counting, interpreting data and probability tasks, scoring more than 80 per cent, on average."

Grade 3 students are still learning how to count?? I think we may have stumbled across the problem of why high school students are failing! Shouldn't they be moving at a slightly quicker pace - I mean, my niece can count to 10 - and she just turned 3!

So, 67 per cent of grade 3 students can count at a normal level.

Paging Gary Carson...we need your help!

Anyway....

A caller mentioned this drug for Multiple Sclerosis, so I wanted to pass on the website she gave us. It's www.tysabri.com.

Oh, and the number to report provincial potholes is 1-888-432-3233 or in Metro: 424-2297. Locally call 490-4000. Good luck avoiding potholes, your daily exercise in futility.

Well, I'm in a good mood today because it's sunny and warm! I'm off to get some lunch, so have a great day!

Cheers,

Amber

No comments: