Monday, February 11, 2008

Just when you think you've got it figured out...

....several things happen to absolutely blindside you. We were faced with a barrage of news today, none of it any good. First of all, our condolences to the family of Gary Martin. I did not know Gary as well of some of us around here, but when I saw the name "Gary Martin" on my call sheet, I was extremely happy about it. He was a class act, a pleasure to deal with, very respectful and definitely got into politics for the right reasons. We will miss Gary so much, but admire his fighting spirit. Gary was on the show in early January, I gave him a hug as he left. R.I.P., Gary, you will not be forgotten.

The second story was the sudden shut down of the Daily News. It's an absolute bombshell and I feel so badly for the staff at the paper. I really liked the Daily News, I looked forward to reading it every day. My love of Rodenhiser's work is well-documented. I think he's a genius and it makes me so sad I may not read his column again. I loved HFX, looked forward to that every Thursday. This is truly frightening and I really hope we get Stephen Kimber or someone like that on to chat about this and the bigger implications of this. What a terrible start to the week for those employers. This Greg Lutes guy comes in an 2 weeks later, there is no Daily News? Plus, there's a news release trumpeting his new appointment to Publisher of this new Metro daily thing. Sickening. The employees were busy putting out a paper, while their bosses were undermining their firings. You'd be surpised by how often this happens.


The third thing that depressed the heck out of everyone today is the weekend discovery of the body of a young female on the South Shore. CKBW reporter Sheldon McLeod pretty much summed it up for us that if it's not Karissa Boudreau, everyone is going to be very surprised.

God, this is a lot of news, but like I said, none of it good.

Give us a call tomorrow...hopefully we'll have some answers for you on if you're getting back the money for your subscriptions, etc. Don't bother calling 444-4444 - they shut down that line this morning.

Talk to you tomorrow...(I hope)

Amber

2 comments:

Mr.k said...

Hello Amber...your lookin good.

I missed most of the show this am..outside blowing out the driveway and then my hugh deck that collects more snow than my driveway. Thank God I have a blower..

As far as the Daily News shutting down...thats too bad....I as well enjoyed reading the Daily. Especially Rick and David's columns...

Personnaly I think it is another step to stiffeling the people who express their opinions on government issues.

One step closer to a dictatorship.

Soon as people like me and Bruce and many more use the media such as talk shows to get our message out there, some EA from the PMO or the Premier's office contact the owners of the source and they are yanked off the line...

Its happening all over North America...

If I am correct in my assumptions than I really don't have much use for people, radio stations, newspapers who fold too easily to government demands....

The Cape Breton Post and CHER Radio are prime examples.

The CB Post recently started allowing comments to be made with regards to various news items.But they are very selective in what they allow...My letters to the editor over the years have been well received and published by the Post...the Talk Back program was taken off the air because of some comments against local MLAs and a councillor....

Really ticks me off that this friggen government of a so called free democratic country will do just about anything to shut up people like me from saying what they feel...The Brooke Taylor interview the other day, I was quickly hushed by Rick...I don't like that at all....

The people in this country do have a say in what takes place in this province and country and the powers to be want us shut down.

They are afraid of the truth..the truth hurts their ratings and interfers with their big business buddies plans.

The rich get richer and the poor are told to shut up.

That has to change and un-fortunitly some day it could very well amount to civil dis-obeadiance in the streets of Canada.

The more that is dictated to us by "our owners" the more angry the people get.

Showing it at the polls may not be enough.

God bless Gary Martin...I liked his guff.

Anonymous said...

i really like to know what Rodinheiser will be doing since the daily news is shut down ... i deliver the Chronicle herald ... too bad he couldn't go with them .. but i know that wouldn't happen

i hope it's not the girl that's missing that was found but it's more chances it will be her then someone else .. it may be bad too say but i mean it's a HIGH possibility