Monday, February 18, 2008

Terrified of life

I told Rick I felt impending doom last night. Maybe it's the myriad of bad news stories we've been reporting lately. Karissa Boudreau, the Daily News, god, it's getting me down! A holiday today might have helped, but since every day is Family Day according to Rodney, I guess we'll have to wait until Good Friday in March for our stat.

Our condolences go out to Barry, whose wife passed away in Cuba. We are so sorry for your loss! Barry called me, quite frazzled, looking for help in how to get his wife's body home. If you missed the numbers for Foreign Affairs - here they are:

1-800-267-6788 or 613-944-6788. Good luck, Barry and again, we are so sorry.

Horrible news out of Afghanistan today too....suicide bombers attacked civilians watching a dog fight...taking over 100 lives. Then another suicide bombing attack today. Unbelievably sad.

How about Michelin getting these wicked terms for its loan from ACOA? It's nice to know the company has until 2041 to pay back its loan. Meantime, I have 10 years to pay back my student loan at 2 per cent past prime. Plus, after I graduated the government gave me a 6 months grace period - but at the same time I accrued interest on my principal - and had that tacked on after the 6 months. Thanks!

There was a little bit of levity today. Grumpy Barry called and he tried to make his point in a clever manner - but was foiled by a wee bit of poor spelling. He thought Christians started with a "Cr". This story about the Sikh man who is fighting the ticket he got for riding without a helmet has really piqued the interest of people. I was surprised Walter Thomson was actually against the guy, but I agree. Riding a motorcycle is not a right entrenched in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and although I applaud him for being a devout Sikh and believe that right is protected, I think it's a little much to ask that your right to being a devout motorcyclist is also entrenched. Sorry.

Well, it's a grey, rainy, miserable day. Let's hope for something good to happen tomorrow, okay?

Cheers,

Amber

No comments: